Name of contact person
Alexandre V. Monteiro
Promote the protection of springs and bodies of water on the properties of rural producers in Mata do Sino in Juruaia – MG by supplying inputs for the fencing of permanent preservation areas, thus promoting the regeneration of local vegetation.
The effects of climate change have increased water scarcity in the world. The Mata do Sino region has been suffering from water shortages. Producers and the population located in the urban district felt the effects of the drought (2021) on the crops and the availability of water to support their personal demands.
• Identification of the project area: Sep/Oct 2021
• Technical follow-up in the study target area (Sucafina and farmer connect): Oct 2021
• Materials cost survey: Oct 2021
• Survey of eligible coffee producers for the project: Nov/Dec 2021
• Survey of producers interested in the project: Jan 2022
• Delivery of seedlings, fencing posts and wire: Jan-March 2022
• Fencing Conference and training: March-April 2022
• Follow-up: May-Nov 2022
• Project Report: Oct-Dec 2022
• Assessment of members interested in the project;
• Examination of the area to be preserved by the regional agricultural technician;
• Determination of coordinates and mapping of where the fencing will be implemented;
• Measurement - with the aid of satellite/geoprocessing images -of the area that will be preserved;
• Calculation of the amount of materials needed for the fencing;
• Requisition and transport of materials for the fencing of the area.
• Identify protected area from fencing to the border of the watercourse;
• Vegetative growth: using satellite images, verification of vegetation growth during 1-2 years of fencing;
Available to farmers:
• Materials for fencing the area: posts, stretchers, barbed wire and polished clamps;
• Training for the cooperative members covered by the program on how to protect water resources and keep them in good condition;
• Seedlings to plant and help accelerate the natural regeneration of the preserved area.
This project is happening with support of U$21,000 from Sucafina.
Alexandre V. Monteiro
Mata do Sino, Juruaia - State of Minas Gerais, Brazil